Skip to content

Solicitors since 1809

Bedford 01234 303030 | Ampthill 01525 750750

Make a Payment


Getting divorced or dissolving a civil partnership can be an emotional, worrying and difficult time. We know this and so we will be empathetic, supportive, non-judgmental and will be there for you throughout the divorce process. We will give you advice that you can trust about the things that matter most.

If you want a divorce within two years after separating from your spouse, you will usually need to satisfy the court that he or she has either committed adultery or has behaved unreasonably during the course of the marriage.

We can advise if you have sufficient grounds and then prepare the divorce petition for you. Without a solicitor you will fall into difficulties, as you will be unclear as to exactly what information the court requires and how to set it out. We take this problem off your hands, so that you can focus on the other things that will be happening at this time in your life.

The alternative is to wait until you have been living apart for a period of two years and then to start proceedings on the basis of that period of separation. Your spouse’s consent is crucial to enable the divorce to go through at that time. If that consent is not given then you would have to be separated for a period of five years before the divorce can proceed on the basis of separation alone.

The law in relation to dissolving civil partnerships is similar but with certain differences. We can discuss these fully with you, and advise on the most appropriate way forward for your individual circumstances.

When it comes to talking about divorce, we are good listeners, so let's talk.